Homeowners tend to use more water in the summer compared to other seasons. League City has a delayed water billing cycle, which means customers will receive a bill that reflects the water they used 30 days prior. If your water consumption is high this July, it will reflect on your August water bill and cost you more money. Now is the time to reassess your habits and water using equipment to avoid a high water bill!
Here are some simple water-saving practices that will reduce the amount of water you use and save money on your monthly bill.
- Don’t overwater. It sounds simplistic, but more water is wasted through overwatering than for any other reason. Watering too much doesn’t just waste a precious resource. It is also very bad for your plants.
- Check your sprinkler settings: Your sprinkler may be running without you knowing. Double check your settings and make sure it is only on once a day.
- Water early in the morning: Run your sprinkler or water your lawn before 9 a.m. and apply about an inch of water per week during the hottest part of the summer. Avoid watering your lawn in the afternoon when temperatures peak.
- Eliminate leaks. Many times, toilet leaks can go undetected and cost you an extra $40+ each month. Pick up a free leak detection dye tab from the League City Utility Billing department to ensure your toilets are working properly.
- Mow high. Keeping your grass at the upper recommended limit (about 2 inches for most species) will help shade the soil and prevent excessive evaporation.
Track Your Water Use = Save $ and Win Prizes!
Do you want to track your water usage and save money on your utility bill? League City offers the Water Usage Tracker, a free and easy tool that lets you know how much water you use throughout the day. You can also set alarms to let you know if you’re wasting more water than usual.
Sign up for the Water Tracker from now through August and be entered into a drawing to win prizes and swag. Create your account here: www.leaguecity.com/watertracker