This summer, discover some of our City’s most scenic spots and hidden gems by Geocaching! Geocaching is essentially a modern-day treasure hunt that both adults and children can participate in for FREE. If you’re lucky, you may even collect some “southern charms” along the way.
What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices, like your smartphone. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location. People hide geocaches everywhere—from just down the street to the most remote wilderness areas. There are over two million caches hidden worldwide. League City staff members have created the “League City Hidden Gems GeoTour,” with caches hidden throughout our community in a variety of fun, creative, and beautiful outdoor spaces.
Download the official Geocaching® app from www.geocaching.com to get started. Create an account and begin your hunt! Make sure to log all your finds, and share your geocaching photos on social media with the hashtag #LCGeoTour.
• If you take something from the geocache (or “cache”), leave something of equal or greater value.
• Write about your find in the cache logbook.
• Log your experience at www.geocaching.com or on your mobile app.
• In heavily populated areas, make sure to discreetly locate and log a cache or come back later so that non-geocachers (or “muggles”) will not discover the cache.
• Understand the type and size of the geocache you are searching for. Geocaches vary greatly in size and appearance. In the field you will see everything from large plastic containers and small film canisters to fake rocks with secret compartments.
• During your treasure hunt, spend some time learning more about each location, keep your eye out for local wildlife—especially birds—and explore a variety of coastal and wetland habitats in League City.