For Commercial Construction or Development
Attention: New Policy Changes for Commercial Permits
Beginning on June 1, 2018, the Building Department will begin accepting site development plans with commercial building permits. The commercial building permit plan set will consist of all plans that were previously submitted with the site development plan. A single permit and fee will be submitted through the Building Department. Additional details on submittal requirements can be found below.
Starting January 1, 2019, all development related plans, including plats, site plans, infrastructure plans, variance request, applications for Certificates of Appropriateness, and Special Use permits must be submitted by 12 p.m. on Tuesday to be placed on that week’s Development Review Committee (DRC) agenda. DRC Comments will be sent to the applicant the following Friday (the 9th business day after the submittal deadline).
The City is also rolling out a Development Handbook. This is a handbook for anybody wanting to develop land within League City. The submittal deadlines are within the handbook along with a guide to submitting each type of development application. Here is a copy of the Zoning & Development Handbook (DOC).
Should you have any questions or concerns about these process changes, you may contact the Planning Department at 281-554-1080.
Any developer may schedule a pre-development meeting to review site plans with the Development Review Committee (DRC). This committee meets every Tuesday at 9 a.m. in the engineering conference room at 500 W Walker St. Appointments may be made by calling the Planning Department at 281-554-1080.
Building Permit Applications (PDF) must be submitted to the Building Department. See the list of required documents below. For more detailed information on inspections procedures please refer to the Commercial Standard Operating Procedures (S.O.P.) (PDF) handout.
New Construction Required Documentation
Provide the following items, along with a Building Permit Application (PDF) and applicable fees (see permit fee calculator) for review.
- A digital set of plans and calculations - architectural, structural, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing - to a scale of not less than 1/8" to one foot.
- New: All pages and information listed on the Civil Submittal Checklist (DOC) and Commercial Building Permit Checklist (DOC).
- FEMA Elevation Certificate if the property is located in a VE, AE, floodway, or shaded X flood zone.
- Business owner to fill out and submit an business registration application (PDF) with the Building Department (for new, relocated, or re-named businesses).
- Energy conservation code calculations and checklist (Com Check software report) for Envelope, Lighting, and/or Mechanical (dependent on a particular project).
- Asbestos Survey Certificate for renovation or demolition of public or commercial buildings.
- Approval by the fire marshal.
- Approval from the Galveston County Health Department for restaurants, pools, and private sewage if applicable.
- All new permit application submittals should be emailed (as one merged PDF) to Building Department. Files larger than 15MB will need to be sent with a file transfer link, such as Dropbox.