Commercial Construction

For Commercial Construction or Development

Attention: New Policy Changes for Commercial Permits

Beginning on June 1, 2018 the Building Department will begin accepting site development plans with commercial building permits. The commercial building permit plan set will consist of all plans that were previously submitted with the site development plan. A single permit and fee will be submitted through the Building Department. Additional details on submittal requirements can be found below.

Any developer may schedule a pre-development meeting to review site plans with the Development Review Committee (DRC). This committee meets every Tuesday at 9 a.m. in the engineering conference room at 500 W Walker St. Appointments may be made by calling the Planning Department at 281-554-1080.

Permit applications (PDF) must be submitted to the Building Department. See the list of required documents below. For more detailed information on inspections procedures please refer to the Commercial Standard Operating Procedures (S.O.P.) handout.

New Construction Required Documentation 

Provide the following items along with a permit application and applicable fees (see permit fee calculator) for review.

  • Two complete sets of paper plans and calculations, architectural, structural, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing, a maximum size of 24 inches by 36 inches drawn to a scale of not less than one-eighth" to one foot.
  • New: All pages and information listed on the Civil Submittal Checklist.
  • One complete set of electronic documents submitted in PDF format on CD for review.
  • FEMA Elevation Certificate if the property is located in a VE, AE, floodway, or shaded X flood zone.
  • Business owner to fill out and submit an operations permit application with the Building Department (for new, relocated, or re-named businesses).
  • Energy conservation code calculations and check list (Com Check software report) for Envelope, Lighting, and/or Mechanical (dependent on particular project).
  • Asbestos Survey Certificate for renovation or demolition of public or commercial buildings.
  • Approval by the fire marshal.
  • Approval from the Galveston County Health Department for restaurants, pools, and private sewage if applicable.

Helpful Documents